Thursday, October 7, 2010

Things My Mommy Didn't Know about Kittens

Morning, it's Kabuki again! This morning I drank a whole mini-bottle of kitty milk. My mom says I'm growing. Anyway, today I thought I would share with you a few things my mom has learned about kittens as I have grown.

1. Kittens DO NOT DRINK COW MILK. They also don't drink human breast milk, so the woman at the grocery store who tried to give frozen breast milk to my dad was a little crazy. The recipe that my mom found on the Internets using evaporated milk,egg, corn syrup and oil was SUPPOSED to work, but it made my hair fall out. The best thing for kittens is kitty milk. If you can't milk a cat, go to vet and buy something called "KMR" - Kitty Milk Replacer. It's YUMMY! Add a little fish oil for Omega 3 vitamins. (Fish oil stinks, but I LOVE it.)

2. Tiny kittens can't pee. Or poop. It's kinda gross, really. Usually the mama cat licks our tiny butts until something comes out - but my mom draws the line at licking my butt. She uses paper towels, baby wipes, toilet paper or a soft washcloth, depending on where she is. She says she can't wait until I learn to use the litter box. I don't know what that means.

3. Baby kittens are born with their eyes closed. But most people don't know that they are born with their ears closed, too. We can't see, and we can't hear - but we eat, and sleep, and love warmth. My eyes opened around 2 weeks - and was I surprised to see my new family! They're kinda weird looking - especially the big black one with the huge tongue who keeps licking me. I wonder if he's just seeing how I taste...

4. To teach kittens how to groom themselves, and to keep them clean, mama cats lick lick lick. My mom uses a warm, damp washcloth to do the same thing. Once she gave me a bath - THAT was a big surprise! I'm starting to lick myself like a grownup cat now. mmmmm.... I DO taste good!

5. Boy kittens and girl kittens are hard to tell apart in the first weeks. Even that vet man couldn't tell for sure. My mom had one friend tell her that if our pee place has a little dot like a period, it's a boy, and if it looks like an exclamation point, it's a girl! Most people agree I'm a boy. *flex* I'll let you know for sure later.

Well, that's it for now! Have a wonderful Thursday - and keep your paws clean!

1 comment:

  1. Kate, Kabuki is really funny. Upon his/her advice I will indeed keep my paws clean!

    ReplyDelete